History of Mortimer Hall
Mortimer Hall, the village Community Centre, is sited on land owned by the Parish Council but the building was built by public subscription. It is run on a day to day basis by a Management Committee who all live in the area and are elected on a yearly basis.
Mortimer Hall is named after the Reverend John Hamilton Mortimer who was the vicar of Marston from 1904 to 1951. He was much loved by the community and played a significant part in establishing a recreational ground for the village (which was reduced when the Marston Ferry Road was built).
They pay the Parish Council a nominal rent of 5p a year for the land and an agreement was signed in 2005 giving a 35 year lease.
For several years the committee have been working towards improving the facilities by providing toilets for the disabled and improving the existing toilets. The roof of the hall also needs replacing and general repairs and upgrading is required. With the small committee this has taken longer than anticipated to achieve.
Activities at the Hall include a Pre-
The Hall is also used by a wide range of organisations including the Parish Council, the Allotment Association and Local and Government elections. The hall is available on Tuesday evenings for local organisations to hold meetings. It is hired out at weekends for children's parties -
Finally if you want to get involved with the Hall come and join the Hall Committee, we are always looking for volunteers to spread the work around. Contact Chris Crane on 01865-
In the mid-
|1962 Newspaper Article|
|Traffic Problems 1980s|
|Churches Together 2016|